Feb 112019

We did not have much fun over the festive season. I spent most of the time in hospital.

Luckily the terrible pain didn’t start until Christmas Day. Luckily seems like a very strange way to describe it as being ill at Christmas is terrible luck but at least I got to have a nice Christmas morning with my family before it all went horribly wrong.

I had toothache for a few days before Christmas but it wasn’t terrible and pain killers were helping. Then on Christmas Day I was in agony. No pain relief was touching it and I felt like my head was going to explode.

I went to the out of hours dentist on Boxing Day. After waiting for ages the dentist had a quick look in my mouth, told me my wisdom tooth was infected and prescribed antibiotics. I tried to explain that the pain was further forward than my wisdom tooth but he just shrugged and said I must have another infected tooth too. After paying for an emergency dental appointment I felt very let down but I hoped that the antibiotics would work.

The next morning I felt horrendous. Michael had gone to work and I tried to be alright and to take care of Bob and Bow. I made an appointment with my dentist for later that day but I soon realised that there was no way that I was going to be able to drive. The pain was so bad that it hurt to focus. I asked Michael to come home. I felt terrible but I didn’t know what else to do.

The dentist took one look at me and started to write a hospital referral. She said that I needed some IV antibiotics as the swelling under my tongue could block my airways. When I arrived at the hospital I had an x ray but, as they couldn’t see a problem with my tooth they thought that my saliva glands may have been infected. They decided to admit me to hospital so that they could start the IV antibiotics and try to get to the bottom of things.

Michael took Bob and Bow home and I waited. The doctor realised that the problem was with my tooth but, as the tooth had a white filling she thought it hadn’t had any treatment. She said that I could either have the tooth removed the next day or wait for the antibiotics to work and then return to my dentist at a later date to have a root canal.

By the next morning it was a different story. My face had doubled in size. A surgeon came to see me and he said that I had to have life or death surgery. I was very ill by this point and I was struggling to stay awake. They explained that as my airways were closing he would need to insert breathing tubes and a camera before they gave me a general anaesthetic. He explained that he would sedate me so the process would be easier. He then joked that I may not need sedating as I was so spaced out. I just remember trying to focus on what he was saying. It took everything I had just to hear his words.

After the operation I was taken to a different ward which was to be my home for a while. I was constantly pumped with 2 different types of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, steroids and pain killers. After not eating for several days I was placed on a liquid diet. It was not very Christmassy.

I was very pleased when I was told that I could come home. I was able to swallow tablets which meant I could take my medication at home. I was still very poorly but it was lovely to be back with my little family.

I am much better in myself but my face is still numb. I have since been back to the doctors (to treat an allergic reaction to the general anaesthetic) and to the dentist for a follow up appointment. The dentist told me that it could take 6 months for things to heal completely. The surgeon said that the numbness could be permanent but I am hoping that the dentist is right.

Yesterday we had a pretend Christmas to make up for the one that we missed. My parents came over and we had a few presents, Christmas dinner and I even managed to find some crackers in the sale. It was a lovely day and much less stressful than Christmas Day as there was no pressure. I think that Christmas in February may be the way forward!

 Posted by Charlotte on February 11, 2019 Uncategorized  Add comments

  4 Responses to “A Crappy Christmas”


    Aww! Bless you. It sounds like you have really been through it. What a nightmare. I am glad to hear you are feeling better now! What a lovely idea celebrating xmas yesterday. x


    Oh my goodness, this sounds horrendous. You must have been in so much pain, and very scared. I’m glad you’re on the road to recovery. Best wishes for the rest of 2019!

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>